Belgium Digital Nomad Visa & Remote Work


➡ 2024 UPDATE

Belgium is a fantastic pick for those considering a new destination for their Digital Nomad adventure. Its tantalizing cuisine, stunning scenery, and vibrant culture make it a standout choice for any traveler.

However, navigating the digital nomad lifestyle in Belgium can pose more challenges compared to other European countries. Firstly, Belgium doesn’t offer an official digital nomad visa. Additionally, it’s against the law to work remotely while on a tourist visa in Belgium.

But don’t let that discourage you! Despite these hurdles, living and working as a digital nomad in Belgium is still very much feasible. There are alternative visa options that cater well to remote workers, with the Professional Card being the top choice.

Nomad Visa Belgium 2024

The Belgium Professional Card, also known as the Freelance Visa or D-Visa, is specifically crafted for individuals engaged in self-employed activities in Belgium. Any non-EU nationals aiming to work as self-employed digital nomads in Belgium must obtain this professional card.

Self-employment activities encompass:

  1. Freelancing or running independent businesses.
  2. Providing services beyond the scope of Belgium’s work permit for foreign employees.
  3. Engaging in economic activities as a sole proprietor, agent, partner, or managing partner of an association or company.
  4. Operating as a self-employed individual with a foreign company.

It’s important to note that for the last activity—being a self-employed individual with a company abroad—you must establish at least a Belgian branch or sub-branch office to qualify for the professional card.

The initial freelancer visa is issued for a period of 2 years, which can be extended to 5 years after the probationary period.

Who Is Eligible to Apply for the Professional Card in Belgium?

Any non-EU citizens, often referred to as third-country nationals, who aspire to live and work as self-employed digital nomads in Belgium must apply for a professional card.

In general, they must seek a D-visa, also known as the national long-stay visa, from their local Belgian embassy or consulate.

There are certain exemptions from the requirement of a Professional Card in Belgium. For instance, citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries (which include the European Union, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein) and Switzerland are not obligated to obtain a professional card work permit. Further details on Professional Card exemptions can be found on this website.

For US citizens, obtaining a D-Visa or Professional Card is necessary to engage in remote work as digital nomads in Belgium. Citizens of EU countries and Switzerland, however, do not need a professional card work permit to pursue self-employment in Belgium. On the other hand, citizens of Canada, Australia, or New Zealand must apply for the Professional Card if they plan to work as freelancers in Belgium.

Requirements for the Belgium Freelance Visa or Professional Card include:

  • Documentation related to your professional activity
  • Payment confirmation of the administrative fee for the professional card application
  • A filled and signed visa application form
  • Your international passport
  • Certification affirming no convictions for common law crimes or offenses
  • A standard medical certificate

Furthermore, you must have the right of residence. If you lack this, you must apply for it concurrently with your professional card at the consular or diplomatic representation.

After gathering all required documents, you must seek authorization to engage in self-employment at the Belgian diplomatic or consular post in your residential area.

You will submit your documents there, and the diplomatic or consular post will forward your application to the economic migration department of the region where you plan to conduct your activities. Additionally, authorities will capture your fingerprints and a digital photograph as part of the process.

The application fee for the D-Visa amounts to 140 EUR, payable at the diplomatic or consular post when submitting your application. Upon arrival in Belgium, you will need to pay an additional fee of 90 EUR at the enterprise counter to obtain your Professional Card.

Work. Travel. Explore. Enjoy. Freedom.

Nomad Visa 2024 © Privacy Policy